Bangsar Gospel Centre: Statement of faith
1. The Scriptures – We believe that the entire Bible is the inspired Word of God and is therefore without error (inerrant) in its original manuscripts and is the sole and final authority for faith and life. (2 Tim. 3:16-17; 2 Pet. 1:20-21).
2. The Godhead (Trinity) – We believe in one true God eternally existing in three distinct persons (Father, Son and Holy Spirit) each of Whom is fully and equally God; possesses all of the divine nature and attributes. (Dt. 6:4; Mt. 28:19; Jn 1:14; 10:30; 2 Co. 13:14).
3. God the Father – We believe that God the Father is the eternal, unchanging, all-powerful, all-knowing, all-wise, all-loving, completely just and perfectly holy, sovereign Ruler and Sustainer of the universe. (Ge.l:l; Eph.4:6; Jn. 1:12-13; 5:19-21; 17:1-5; Isa. 40:21-28; 43:10-13;46:8- 11; Ro.8:14-16).
4. The Lord Jesus Christ – We believe the Lord Jesus is God manifest in the flesh; we believe in His virgin birth, His sinless human life, His vicarious and atoning death, His bodily resurrection, His ascension, His present mediatorial work in heaven and His personal return in power and glory to receive His people unto Himself, to execute judgment and to reign as “King of Kings and Lord of Lords”. (Jn. 1:1, 14, 18; 3:16; Lk. 1:30-35; Php. 2:5-8; Col. 2:3, 9; Mk. 10:45; Ac. 2:22-24; Jn. 1:29; Ro. 3:25- 26; Heb. 10:5-14; 1 Pe. 2:24; 3:18; Jn. 20:20; Php. 3:20-21; Heb. 1:3; Ro. 8:34; 1 Jn. 2:1; Ac. 1:11; Heb. 9:28; 1 Th. 4:13-18; 2 Th. 2:7; Mt. 24:44; Rev. 19:11-21; Rev. 21-22).
5. God the Holy Spirit – We believe that God the Holy Spirit, in fulfillment
of God’s promise, specially came into the world on the day of Pentecost to glorify Christ and to enable men to appropriate the salvation wrought by Christ. He is the primary agent for the conviction of sin and for regeneration and imparts new life, baptizes the believer into the body of Christ (His church), permanently indwells the believer, and securely seals the believer unto the day of redemption and empowers the believers to build up the body of Christ by giving them spiritual gifts. (Gen. 1:26; 2:6,17; 3:17-24; Isa. 59:1-2; Ro. 3:9- 19, 23; 5:6-8; Lk. 18:26-27; John 14:15-16, Eph.2.1-3).
6. Man – We believe that man was created in the image of God by direct act of God and was created to glorify God, worship and serve Him, and have fellowship with Him. Man fell through sin by disobeying God, thus incurring both physical and spiritual death, and is therefore under God’s judgment (Gen. 1:26; 2:6,17; 3:17-24; Isa. 59:1-2; Ro. 3:9- 19, 23; 5:6-8; Lk. 18:26-27; Eph.2.1-3).
7. Salvation – We believe that the shed blood of Jesus Christ on the cross provides the sole basis for forgiveness of sins and salvation, which is the free gift of God’s grace and cannot be secured by man’s works or personal merit and is only appropriated by a person placing his faith in the finished work of Christ through a person’s repentance towards God and faith in Jesus Christ and in Jesus Christ redemptive work on the cross. (Eph. 1:7, 13-14; Jn. 1:12-13; 3:1-7, 14-16; 2 Co. 5:17; Ro. 1:16; 10:9-10; Eph. 2:8-10; Ro. 8:14-17, 31-39; Jn. 10:27-29; 14:6; Ac. 26:20; 1 Pe. 1:3-5).
8. The Church – We believe that the church is the body of Christ of which Jesus is the Head and whose members are those who have truly received Christ by faith. The purpose of the church is to make Christ known to lost men, to make disciples, and glorify God on earth (Ac. 1:8; 1 Co. 12:12-27; Eph. 1:20-23; 4:1-6, 4:12-16; Mt. 28:18-20; Jn. 17; Col. 1:24-29).
9. The Ordinances – We believe that the only two ordinances of the church recognized by Scripture are water baptism and the Lord’s Supper. Water baptism by immersion is an act of obedience following salvation which symbolically pictures the believer’s death to sin, burial of the old life, and resurrection to new life. The Lord’s Supper celebrates fellowship and communion with Christ, symbolically commemorates His death, and anticipates His second coming (Mt. 28: 19; Ac. 10:47-48; Lk. 22:19-20; 1 Co. 11:23-28; Ro.6:3-4).
10. The Christian Life – We believe that every Christian are called to live for Christ and not for himself and by submission and obedience to the power of the indwelling Spirit, allow Christ to manifest His life through him to God’s glory and by his ever increasing love for the Lord and submission to the Word of God, each believer should mature and progressively become more like Jesus, live a holy life; exercise his spiritual gifts to build up the body of Christ; witness for Christ; be personally involved in making disciples to fulfill the great commission; perform good works and bear fruit to the glory of God (Gal. 2:20; 1 Pe. 1:15-16; 2:11; 2 Co. 5:14-15; Ro. 6:11-13; Eph. 2:10; 4:11-12; 4:22-24; 1 Pe. 4:10-11; Ac. 1:8; Mt. 28:18-20; Col. 1:10; Jn. 15:8, 16).
11. Satan – We believe that Satan is a fallen angel and the instigator of evil and a real spirit being and was utterly defeated at the cross, and will be doomed to be cast into the eternal lake of fire and Satan can be resisted by the believer through faith and reliance on the power of the Holy Spirit (Gen. 3: 1-5; Isa. 14:12-17; Eze. 28:11-19; Job 1-2; 1 Jn. 5:19; 2 Co. 11:14; 1 Ti. 3:6; 1 Pe. 5:8-9; Jas. 4:7; Rev. 12:9; 20:1-3, 7-10).
12. Future – We believe that that there will be a resurrection of all who have died, when Christ returns in power and glory (1 Thess. 4:14-17; Phil. 3:20-21) and that there will be a day of final judgment of all humankind, both those living at that time and those resurrected; the just among them will receive eternal life (John 3:16, Rev 20: 4-5, Rev 21: 1-3) and the unjust, eternal damnation (John 3:18, 3:36, Rev 20: 11-15).